It’s been quite the few months since I started this blog. I am absolutely amazed at how quickly it took off. Truthfully, I didn’t expect this much growth so quickly, but I can’t complain! However, getting into the swing of blogging is much more difficult than it seems. A lot of work goes into even figuring out how to put out consistent content that I feel satisfied by. There’s been weeks where I put out a post almost every other day and there’s been weeks where I don’t post at all. If you follow my Instagram you’ve probably seen a ton of post ideas in my stories never come to fruition. It’s not that I forget about those ideas or don’t want to post them, in reality it’s just hard for me to put out content I’m not 100% proud of. So, that said, here are my 2018 blogging goals:
- Work on my photography–I’ve finally gotten to a place where I feel like I have a style of photography for this blog and my Instagram that is unique to me. I’m really happy with the way most of my pictures have been turning out lately, but there’s definitely things I need to work on. The two areas of photography I plan to work on in 2018 are swatches and pictures of the products on me.
- Show myself a bit more–When I first started blogging I absolutely did not want my name or face associated with my work. For whatever reason, as time has gone on, I’ve stopped caring about it as much. I don’t want this to become a blog about me, but I don’t think I’ll be quite as camera shy in 2018. C’est la vie.
- Post more regularly–I promise I will do this. Out of all of the goals in this list, this is the one I am determined to prioritize. I don’t think I’ll have specific days that I post, but I will promise a certain number of posts a week. At this point I’m thinking 3 is good base number, with the occasional extra post if I have something I just can’t wait to show you all. As always, I post on Instagram every day (barring circumstances out of my control).
- Give love to & connect with other bloggers–I’ve met some very sweet and very talented people in the past few months since I began my Instagram/blog. These people inspire me, give me great advice, and deserve all the attention. I’d love to do some collaborative work with my favorite bloggers in 2018. I’m feeling very ambitious right now.
- Avoid getting comfortable–As I said above, I like the style I’ve created, but I don’t want it to ever become stale. There were a couple of days where I was so excited to post, but couldn’t bring myself to because everything I was creating felt stale and too similar to things I’d already done. In 2018 I wan’t to push myself to be more creative, post even when it doesn’t feel comfortable, and remember that no one else is as critical (lol) about what I’m putting out as I am.
- Introduce different types of content–I originally planned for this blog to be about all of my interests, but have found myself catering to my audience who is primarily interested in beauty. I get that, I’m also primarily interested in reading and writing about beauty. However, I have a ton of other interests I’d love to start introducing into the blog. This year I wrote one post about books I love, two recipes, and one playlist. I’d love to find a way to be more creative with these kinds of posts, because I love the topics but found that I didn’t love the way those posts came out.
- Go Harder–this blog isn’t called the critical babe for no reason. There’s a lot of fuckery going on in this industry and I’m not going to be afraid to discuss it on this blog.
- Stay consistent in my skincare–It’s easy to be influenced by my fellow bloggers into purchasing every product that gets raved about. In 2018 I’m going to spend more time searching for products that are catered to me, rather than try things because someone else loves it. Being a skincare blogger and being able to churn out constant, accurate reviews often is a bit of a paradox. It’s simply not possible to give a true and honest opinion after testing a product only a few times. As much as I’d love to have fresh, brand new skincare content for you all the time, it’s just not possible. I need to prioritize the health of my skin and avoid over-introducing products to it for the sake of reviews.
- USE MY SHIT UP–I cannot emphasize enough how much clutter bothers me. Visually, I find clutter irritating and often uncomfortable to be amongst. It’s unsettling. Mentally, clutter reminds me of over consumption, which I’ve found increasingly agitating. I’m dedicated to a low-buy 2018 full of panning. I won’t cut myself off completely; I’ll just be focusing on my reasoning for purchasing things. If you’re interested in panning, getting into panning, or thinking about how to be more sustainable, keep your eyes peeled in 2018 because I’m really sick of waste.
- Be more artistic–2017 was where I hit my stride in my personal makeup style and application techniques. I basically wear a different iteration of the same style of look everyday. Lately, I’ve been increasingly interested in art-inspired makeup. I’m so glad to see unique styles of makeup gaining popularity again, cause ya girl is SICK of Instagram style makeup. If I see one more blocked-front sharpied on eyebrow…
- Practice styling my hair–I am absolute shit at doing anything to my hair. I can create some pretty incredible waves, but that’s taken me 6 years to perfect. Any other style, besides touching up my naturally straight hair with a flat iron, seems impossible. I’ve tried so many tutorials over the years and I’m just not someone who’s talented at hair. I don’t think I’ll ever be talented at hairstyling, but I’m devoted to at least being able to do a proper blow-out on myself. Maybe a messy bun if we’re being ambitious.
I’m sure as the year progresses these goals will evolve, but as of now this is how I’m feeling and what I really want to accomplish in 2018. My next post will be me finishing off my 2017 favorites with a post all about non-skincare/makeup beauty products and a few accessories I want to share with you all. I hope we all have a wonderful 2018 and go ahead at let me know down below what your goals for 2018 are!